Review of the Nordstrom Credit Card with Pros and Cons
Nordstrom has a large customer base that is extremely loyal. If you shop at this store regularly, you may be interested in the Nordstrom credit card. This card has significant incentives for anyone who patronizes this store on a regular basis. However, there are also some drawbacks you may not be aware of. There are three credit cards and a debit card you can choose from. This article will go over a review of this retail card. We’ll also list pros and cons so you’ll get a good feel for what the Nordstrom credit card can offer.
Nordstrom Credit Card Pros
Four Tier Levels at Nordstroms
These cards do something unique to Nordstrom. There are four separate tiers, and the more you spend, the better tier you’ll get. It bases the tier level depending on how much you spend annually on your Nordstrom credit card.
- Tier 1: If you spend $1,999 or lower during the year, Nordstrom will place you into this category. As a reward, you’ll get one personal random triple points day. You’ll also get $100 in free alterations.
- Teir 2: If you spend $2,000 to $4,999 during the year, this will be your category. As a reward for spending a little more, you’ll get two personal random triple points days. You’ll also get free alterations up to $200. Finally, you’ll receive an invitation to an exclusive holiday party.
- Teir 3: If you spend $5,000 to $9,999 during the year, you’ll get three triple point days. You’ll also get free alterations up to $300 and invited to an exclusive holiday party. Finally, you’ll get experience packages.
- Tier 4: If you spend $10,000 or higher, you’ll get four personal triple points days and free unlimited alterations. You’ll get the invitation to the exclusive holiday event and experience packages. Finally, you’ll get VIP perks like a spa day or dining.
Two Times the Points
If you shop at Nordstrom, Nordstrom Rack, or Nordstrom site, you’ll get two times the points on each dollar spent. Once you’ve hit 2,000 points, you’ll get a $20 reward card mailed to you. If you have the Nordstrom Visa, you’ll get one times the points everywhere else.
Triple Point Days
When you redeem your triple point days from the cardholder tier, you’ll get six points for each dollar spent. You can choose the day, and it’s best to spend a larger amount on this day. If you buy $334 in merchandise on that day, you’ll hit 2,000 points. This will get you the $20 reward card.
Each year, Nordstrom has their anniversary sale. If you have the Nordstrom credit card, you’ll get early access. This is considered the biggest event Nordstrom holds all year. Also, if you’re a Tier 4 cardholder, you’ll get a full day of early access.
Yearly Bonus Point Days
Nordstrom offers random bonus points days during the year. You can check their calendar for them. During this time, you can earn up to ten times the points just for shopping. This can add up to a lot of savings very quickly.
Sign Up Offer
The first day you open your Nordstrom credit card, they want you to shop. If you spend $100, they’ll give you a $20 reward card to use in the store. This isn’t as high as some other sign up bonus rewards offers, but it is instantaneous.
Unlike many reward cards, the Nordstrom credit card has no maximum reward cap. You can earn as many rewards as you want throughout the year. They also don’t expire like some other rewards cards.
Nordstrom Credit Card Cons
Nordstrom Rewards Not Flexible
The rewards system with the Nordstrom credit card isn’t flexible. Each time you hit the 2,000 point mark, you get $20 mailed to your home. Then you start over until you hit 2,000 points and it starts the cycle again. You don’t have any other option to redeem your points like some cards.
This is a retail card, and it can come with a high APR. Nordstrom bases this rate in part on your FICO credit score. The higher your credit score is, the better APR you’ll get. However, it’ll still be higher because this is a retail card. If you have excellent credit, you can qualify for an 11.4 percent APR. If your credit is poor, your APR may be as high as 23.4 percent.
The Nordstrom credit card also comes with higher late or missed payment fees. If you miss a payment or are late, you’ll get a $37 late fee added. This can add up quickly, especially if you miss more than one payment.
This card offers a lower outside reward rate. If you shop at Nordstrom, the rates are very good. However, if you use your card outside of the store, the rewards drop to 1 percent. This is lower than a lot of other rewards cards.
Different Types of Norstrom Cards Offered
You have the option to choose different cards for this retailer. There are three different cards choices and a debit card as well you can choose from.
- Debit Card. The Nordstrom debit card acts like a normal debit card. You can link it to your bank account, and earn two times the points. You can only use this at Nordstrom.
- Retail Card. This card is your normal retail card. You get points each time you shop at Norstrom, the Nordstrom site, and Nordstrom Rack. You can only use this card for this retailer.
- Visa Platinum. Any retailer that accepts Visa will take this card as well. You get two times the points at Nordstroms. You’ll also get one point everywhere else. However, you won’t have access to the Visa Signature perks like travel insurance or roadside assistance.
- Visa Signature. You can use this card at Norstrom and outside of the store. If you use it outside of the retailer, you get 1 point per dollar you spend. Any retailer that accepts Visa will take this card. Also, you’ll have access to roadside assistance, travel insurance, and extended warranties as well.
10 Best Store Credit Cards to Build Credit With Easiest Store Credit Card Approvals
Final Thoughts on the Nordstrom Credit Card
The Norstrom credit card is excellent for anyone who shops at this retailer regularly. It offers several reward options. Also, you can move up tiers for better perks by spending more. Finally, as long as you don’t keep a balance from month to month, this card is a good deal.
CreditFast has reviewed the best credit cards on the market. Some of the credit card offers are from our advertising partners. CreditFast has objectively reviewed the features and benefits of each credit card. We have chosen credit card offers based on our editor’s recommendations.